How to get an expedited passport

Are you short of time and need an expedited passport as soon as possible? When you’ve got an unexpected trip coming up or you just need a vacation but don’t have a valid passport, it can be very stressful. Obtaining a passport can be exasperating even under normal circumstances and when you need an expedited passport things can be even more challenging. Not to worry – you’ve come to the right place!

How to get your expedited passport

There are three different options for expediting your passport; in person, via postal mail, and through a Registered Passport Expediter. Each require filling out forms, which differ depending on the type of passport you’re applying for, the passport fee, and a $60 expediting fee. A full list of fees can be found here.

Expediting your passport through the US government

Going through the government is the traditional method. You can apply in person at a Passport Acceptance Facility or mail in your request for expedited service. The US Department of State says that you will “generally” receive your passport within 3 weeks or sooner than that, if you can you show the authorities an urgent requirement. The Department of State currently does not provide the option of online payments for expedited passport services, so you’ll have to mail in a check or deliver it in person. However, the option may be provided in the future. If you are applying for the very first time for your passport, for a child 17 or younger, or if your latest passport is stolen, lost, or issued over 15 years ago, then you have to submit a DS-11 Form in person at a Passport Acceptance Facility.

Applying at a Regional Passport Agency

If you want to get your passport faster and live near a Regional Passport Agency you can call 1-877-487-2778 and make an appointment to apply in person. You’ll need to be able to prove that you have travel plans within the next two weeks or need a visa within the next four.

Expedited passport service by mail

You can request expedited passport service for any kind of application, including first-time applications, amendments of current passports, renewals, etc. However, replacement of stolen and lost passports and first time applications must be given in person. For applications by mail, you must keep the following things in mind:

  • Include your payment in the Money Order or Personal Check form, which is payable to “U.S. Department of State.”
  • Do not send your payment by cash.
  • Clearly mark “EXPEDITE” on the external side of your application envelope, in case you submit renewal through Form DS-82 by mail.
  • Mail any of your personal documents and your passport application via an identifiable delivery method.
  • Use secure means to wrap up your application, like a Tyvek envelope in order to guard your personal documents and your mailing contents from exposure to anyone throughout the mail delivery process.
  • Preferably use two-way overnight delivery.
  • Do not send any prepaid return mailing stamps or mailing envelopes.

Using a Registered Passport Expediter

If you’re in a real bind and have travel plans within the next two weeks or just want some help with your application, you can work with a Registered Passport Expediter. These are private companies that charge additional fees to assist you and expedite your passport application faster than the traditional methods. They are registered with the U.S. Department of State, work directly with the Regional Passport Agency to secure passports, and can help make the process less stressful. The companies typically provide service as fast as next business day. We’ve put together a list of recommended Registered Passport Expediters who have a proven track record of success.

Ready to Get Your Passport?

If you’re in a hurry and need your passport quickly, we’ve got you covered. Find out more about expediting your passport and choose from our curated list of Registered Passport Expediters.

Have a question?

13 + 1 =

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This